There are so many things to do while living in this sunny state, that we just can’t keep track of them all. As if the great year round weather in Southern California weren’t enough, it also offers us unlimited amounts of outdoor activities to enjoy with the whole family.
If you are motivated and plan right, you could literally surf before the sun comes up and be sipping on hot chocolate in a snow covered cabin by the time the sunsets.
Now if you love the ocean just as much as we do, you have to visit one of our favorite places to go, San Elijo State Beach and campsite.
This gem is located in San Diego county and is nearly impossible to get a site during the summer unless you are watching the reservations online 7 months ahead. If you are in the area during the Spring time, we have some occasional summer like weather and you can snag a site last minute by checking the reservation link: http://www.reserveamerica.com/camping/san-elijo-sb/r/campgroundDetails.do?contractCode=CA&parkId=120083
It’s totally worth using some of your sick days to have the beach to yourself! You also always have the option of showing up at 5 in the morning to pick up any cancellations or no shows.
Just some of the things that make this place so awesome:
- The prices are super affordable and you can’t beat the views as half of the campsites are overlooking San Elijo State Beach.
- The whole trip can be planned to be family and dog friendly, and the stairs down to the water will provide you with plenty of exercise during your stay as well as quick water access.
- The neighbors are always super friendly. I mean who can be mad sleeping this close to a crystal blue ocean with beautiful reefs?
- This campsite also has the cleanest bathrooms, a well-stocked mini – mart and if you can’t find what you need there, you have many options to choose from close by.
- There is a taco shop right on the campsite - Bull Taco. Bull taco has some unique dishes to choose from that you won’t find on the menu at any of the local taco shops.
- Picnic tables and fire pits are provided at each site for you and the family. So don’t forget your marshmallows and favorite camp tunes to sing by the fire.
- There are sites located along the bluff that offer the best views but are hard to come by if you haven’t planned months ahead. (The other side of the campsite is facing PCH and can be a bit loud as traffic and an occasional train pass while you are trying to sleep).
The sunset from this location is unreal, not many views can tear us away from our devices but this one will without a doubt.
The water is warm and depending what time of the year, you can see right through the clear waters and possibly be swimming with some friendly fish.
Remember to protect your beautiful skin with plenty of SPF and stay hydrated with plenty of water. Hope you find your way there soon! We will see you there!
Article written by: Live Well Mama
See what Jeanne and Live Well Mama is up to these days at www.livewellmama.com